I'm no Quentin Tarantino...


I'm no Quentin Tarantino...
Unless you are a sucker for nonlinear narrative, things make the most sense in chronological order. Follow the links posted below on the right.

Chapter 1: The Beginning

Looking for love in all the wrong places.
Online dating is considered taboo by some. Others swear by it. In this day and age, its almost more common to meet someone online than in person, or so the television dating advertisements would make it seem.  Maybe its the convenience of being able to touch base without leaving home. 'Safer' than meeting someone at a bar. Some folks are more comfortable with interaction via the computer and phone before meeting in person due to personal insecurities. And sometimes they are just socially retarded.

In my case, I joined a church-related singles website (LDSSingles.com) in the hopes of meeting some people who could direct me to a 'singles' service in my area.  I was curious about going to church on Sunday but didn't want to attend my local  family ward since there was a good chance I'd decide church was a mistake for me and I didn't want to get the neighbors hopes up on whatever fateful Sunday I attended.  I'm not a fan of being someone's project, doncha know!?

Oh, the horrors joys of a Mormon singles site. Imagine a forum containing experienced vultures seeking to prey on innocent minds. Now add in a plethora of sexually repressed virgins desperate to find love so they can quickly marry in the temple and then do it! ( Oh, and have a cute little home and family too, of course!  But mostly they just want to DO IIIIIIIIIIIIIT!  *ahem*)   Anyhow, that was the vibe of that site. Instead of making some local friends I could attempt church-going with, I was accosted by man after man who wanted to show me pictures of his penis. Lucky me!  Having been a slightly scandalous girl prior to this, it took all my willpower not to reply to each of those e-mails with "I've seen bigger. Sorry!"

It was a close call.
In any case, by the end of the first month I was ready to give up.  The site had not lived up to the expectations I had for it. There I was, trying to find something I felt was missing in life and instead I ended up with a collection of XXX e-mails and the memory of a one-night fling with a guy from Brigham Young University.  My geriatric laptop and dial-up modem didn't help my cause.  When loading certain pages of the dating site, the poor machine made noises un-natural to the computer world.  Had my escapades gone on much longer, the darn thing would likely have burst into flames.


Month number 2 was slightly more interesting.  I made a friend, Michael, who I am still in moderate contact with today.  We became movie buddies and got together weekly to catch Hollywood's latest and greatest, watch Season 1 of future 'hits' like Grey's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives, and discuss our dating adventures.  It was fun to have a kindred spirit who shared similar experiences in the world of internet singles sites.


"You don't resemble your profile picture..."
"Oh that old thing?  Yeah, that was me ten years ago.  I've changed a little since then."
"You don't say..."



It was during this same period of time that I met Greg.